There is one area of our bathroom that always makes me cringe when I look at it – our shower doors and tracks, covered in limescale and mineral deposits. If you’ve neglected cleaning them like I have, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean them effectively.
|Step 1||– White vinegar – Paper towels – Old toothbrush – Rag or cloth|
|Step 2||– Baking soda – Water – Rag or cloth|
|Final Rinse||– Water – Clean, wet rag|
Step 1 – Vinegar:
- Pour vinegar into the shower tracks. If your tracks have drain holes, block them with paper towels to keep the vinegar in place.
- Let the vinegar sit for about 30 minutes to break down the grime and stains.
- Remove the paper towels from the drain holes.
- Use a clean paper towel to wipe out the tracks. Most grime and stains should come off easily.
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub hard-to-reach places and corners.
- For areas under the doors, soak a paper towel with vinegar and gently clean those areas.
Step 2 – Baking Soda:
- Mix baking soda with water to create a paste.
- Apply the paste to the mineral build-up on the top, outside, and vertical sections of the shower door tracks.
- Let the paste sit for about 30 minutes.
- Wipe off the paste with a wet rag. Some build-up should come off.
- For tougher build-up, repeat the baking soda step and use a metal scraper to remove deposits.
- Continue repeating the baking soda step until all build-up is removed.
- Apply vinegar to the top of the build-up on the shower doors and let it run down to loosen grime.
- Use the baking soda paste to clean metal edges of the shower doors.
- Apply the paste, let it sit, and then wipe off the build-up from the corners and bottom of the doors.
- If necessary, repeat the process until the doors are clean.
- Gently pour water into the tracks to remove any remaining dirt.
- Use a clean, wet rag to wash the entire area.
- Remember that vinegar and baking soda are natural cleaners, but using gloves is recommended to protect your skin.
- If you can’t finish the cleaning in one go, you can always resume it on another day.
Following these steps should help you achieve clean and sparkling shower doors using just two simple ingredients. Happy cleaning!