Honey, the product of the hard-working bees, it is all-natural and provides amazing health benefits for your body. It is considered as one of the healthiest foods ever and can be extremely beneficial for treating many illnesses and conditions.
However, there are numerous types of fake honey on the market with a nice low price which may trick you into getting one. According to a study done by Food Safety News, more than 76% of all honey sold in markets has been infiltrated. Thus, removes the pollen, which is known for its amazing health benefits.
Therefore, you should stay away from such fake honey with zero health benefits. Unlike processed honey, raw honey actually contains a mixture of resins which protects you from viruses and bacteria, while providing strong antiviral and antifungal properties.
Here’s how to detect fake honey:
- At first, it is extremely important to notice that pure honey crystallizes over time. So, if the honey does not crystallize over time, it means it’s fake.
- Read the labels carefully before buying, and if it contains high fructose corn syrup or commercial glucose it is not real honey.
- Add a few drops of iodine to a glass of water and then add the honey. If the honey becomes blue, it has been mixed with cornstarch. This is surely the cheap variant, genetically modified.
- To a glass of water, add a few drops of vinegar then add a little honey. If it foams up, your honey has been contaminated with plaster.
- Burn your honey with a match or phosphorus, if it’s natural it will ignite.
- Fill a glass with water and a tablespoon of honey into the glass. If your honey is adulterated it will dissolve.
Extra tips when buying honey:
- The McDonald’s and KFC honey does not contain pollen.
- More than 70% of the honey found at Target, Costco, and Sam’s Club are lacking pollen.
- Some varieties of honey are abundant in low-quality mead or combined with glucose.
- Honey “Winnie the Pooh” sold at Walmart does not contain any pollen.
- Lastly, do not buy honey sold at Walgreen’s and CVS Pharmacy as they also don’t contain pollen.